Friday, March 28, 2014

When will you realize, Vienna waits for you?






Vienna is a song written in 1977, by Billy Joel for his album "The Stranger" -one of my favourite records, by the way- and was released as the B-side of the EP "She's always a woman" single.

When I was an adolescent (some people say that the adolescence lasts until the 25, but I don't feel that way anymore), I used to get this negative moods all the time. I felt depressed, sleepy, out of strength. I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do with my life. Also I got reckless, because I felt with no motivation, even if I had too many pasions and ambitions.I just felt that I wasn't in the right rail, for making my dreams true.

And that is what this song is about, basically, about the fears and doubts of a young kid. Joel gives like sort of advices for people that feel that way. This gonna be sound a little bit cliché, maybe, but the first time I've heard it I was alone, in a coffee shop, getting some tea before going to college, and hearing the phrase "YOU CAN GET WHAT YOU WANT OR YOU CAN JUST GET OLD" made such a big sense to me, it was like a signal from, I don't know, I'm not very religious, but someone with power or maybe something. The fact is that I was at this uncertain time of my life, and this song was like a interpellation for me. It gave to me the motivation for keep doing things, think about the future with hope and believe in my habilities and the things I can do for making myself happy.

We are young, people with a lot oportunities to come, but sometimes we forget that we're living in the time on most of all the decisions that will change our lives will get done. So raise up the bar, don't think that what you're are dreaming is sorta out of your posibilities. Make efforts, make it real.




No comments:

Post a Comment