Sunday, May 4, 2014

MARRIED TO HER COUNTRY.



So far, we've seen a lot of different cultures from English-speaking countries and, to be honest, I didn't know half of them, actually, I only knew about USA and England... Shame on me, right? I know, but I never been that good at history.

So yes,  I have learnt new things about cultures and lifestyles in these classes, also the changes through the centuries and I believe, rather, I know that culture is people's most important thing.

We saw, in one of our classes, the movie "Elizabeth: The Golden Age" and, before that, we had studied the historical context where the movie were set. There is when you get to realize how much culture has changed during the last centuries, minds were too closed and every mistake was payed with the life itself. 

If you take a look at the way people live nowadays, you wouldn't find so insane that a woman don't get married. But in that time (XVI century) the fact that the Queen, Elizabeth I, never got married to anyone was the strangest thing ever. She had many marriage proposals and she rejected them, even when she did find love, she let it go... Why?, well, she had this idea of being "The Virgin Queen", because she had to be "faithful" to her country, as she was married to it.

Would any woman of the XXI century, in charge of a nation, abstain of loving, of having a family and even stay virgin because of an ideology? Nowadays, most people put themselves first, and prioritize their own happiness before anyone else's.

But, thinking it through, if Elizabeth I had never done that sacrifice, she probably wouldn't be the legend she is today.


* For more information about the life and reing of Elizabeth I, visit the web site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/people/elizabeth_I

2 comments:

  1. ~~In a way, I understand how you feel. I was not very good at History in school so, most of the things we've studied during the unit, I didn't know. I really liked the movie of Elizabeth I, and the way this shows the power he had during his government. As you were saying, today is not difficult to find independent women, most of them, not necessarily single, but women are able to manage their lives without help from anyone.
    I liked the way she devoted her life to the nation and in a sense, married her.~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. for being a legend, you have to be remembered for something big, so the sacrifice that she did being a "virgin queen" is not exactly for what she is remembered, i mean for me, she is a legend for being a half goddess half human person that was in the head of a nation and leading to the victory

    ReplyDelete