Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Black Panther Party for Self Defense

This time I will talk about the BPP because for me, they were very interesting for the reason that I still don’t know if they are good or bad people, I mean, obviously they were good with their owns and because they fought for their rights, they were human beings like everyone, but discriminated by their skin color, so if you look at them by that point of view, they were really good GOOD people, but at the same time, THEY KILLED PEOPLE because they thought that was the only way to do things.

The Black Panther Party was a revolutionary organization founded by P. Newton in 1966 and he had a very solid vision for this “the vision of the Black Panther Party was to serve the needs of the oppressed people in our communities and defend them against their oppressors.”  And it was inspired by Malcolm X in the use of violence, because violence was the only language that white racist understood.


The Black Panther did really good things, they opened school for black people of poor neighborhoods, because they want their children go to school because they wanted that they have a good life, were the “white people” respected them. They have food and clothes on black churches, because for them hunger was one of the means for oppression and that must be helped.

But after all this, they always acted with violence! They just killed people and with that, they just brought more death and nothing changed.

If a have been there, I don’t know how I've probably acted in a situation like that, I don’t know If I just fought with guns or just sit and watched how everything was destroyed around me, I probably would be proud of this people that fight with such determinism for something that they believe is the right thing, but I don’t know if I could stay in the front line with them, I mean, really fighting with guns and killing people…

And there will be always the same question that I can’t answer…they were good or bad people? Maybe you will say it’s depends, but depends of what?

Finally they dissolved in 1982 because they started to separate in little groups until it was just a few members, because they were really young and politically disorganized.

Here is a movie about them, you can watch it if you want, it show how was their life and how was being a black panther member, hope you like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOOi7z9wXC4

thank you for your time :D

1 comment:

  1. I really like your entry because it show us another point of viewof the Afroamerican culture and how to protect their own culture they created this party that uses the violence to fight againt the racial discrimination and to preserve their own traditions

    ReplyDelete